If you are interested in joining the YHBA Committee, please read the Committee Guidelines listed below to make sure you are able to complete your responsibilities as a committee member and then e-mail Debbie Acord, General Co-Chair with your committee level preference. The sub-committees are formed each January.
YHBA Picture Book Committee
YHBA Intermediate Book Committee
YHBA Middle Grade Book Committee
YHBA PROGRAM COMMITTEE GUIDELINES
- A 2-year commitment to the Young Hoosier Book Award Committee.
- Current membership in the Indiana Library Federation (ILF) and the Association of Indiana School Library Educators (AISLE) during the years of committee participation. Membership must be effective by February 1st of the calendar year of committee service in order to participate in the annual spring kick-off meeting.
- Authors and illustrators of titles being considered for the YHBA program may not serve on a YHBA committee during the year their title is under consideration or nomination.
Responsibilities & Obligations:
- Read all correspondence from YHBA General Chair and Sub-Committee Chair and respond when appropriate.
- Inform the Sub-Committee Chair of contact information changes as they occur.
- Attend the Reading Kick-Off Meeting (usually held the first Saturday of March).
- Spend your summer reading (approximately 60-75 titles) and completing book Evaluation Forms as assigned by your Sub-Committee Chair. Read as many books as possible.
- Attend and participate in the Nominee Selection Meeting (usually held the first Saturday in September after Labor Day).
- Assist in the development of an activity book or teacher resource book.
- Volunteer as needed at the annual AISLE conference in the Fall.
- Support and promote the sale of YHBA related items which provide financial security for the YHBA program.
- Refer comments of concern to the General Chair.
- Follow the YHBA Committee timeline.