During 2017, ILF will update all related documents. Any questions should be directed to Executive Director Lucinda Nord at the ILF office.
Background: As described in the Work Plan, Leader Calls and Strategic Visioning preparation, ILF has been in a period of transition since 2015. Legal, accounting and insurance counsel advised in 2015 and 2016 that by-laws and governing documents must be revised to be in compliance with nonprofit law and best practices. Similarly, financial policies and procedures and the employee handbook are also under revision in alignment with law and best practices.
- Accountability and Transparency - ILF is posting its annual report and IRS Form 990 online. Members also may access approved board minutes. We have also posted the ILF Work Plan, progress report and recordings of calls with Leaders and Members.
- Governance - ILF will revise the by-laws and organizational documents in 2017. ILF aims to continue operating by the by-laws to the best of its ability until the revision is completed. (Note that ILF is limited by named defunct positions, lack of quorum or other inconsistencies with law, best practices or actual practice by units.)
- Leadership - While the formal structure, unit and position "titles" or meeting frequency may change, ILF will continue to rely on volunteers for programming and leadership. ILF units are to coordinate all activities with the ILF Office, as the ILF Board is ultimately responsible for legal, fiscal and programmatic activities.
- Finance - There are several changes that may affect ILF Units.
- ILF has no "program and units" budgets effective in 2016.
- ILF has been working diligently to close a budget deficit. The ILF Office has worked with significantly reduced staffing and resources, and is now (early 2017) on more stable financial footing.
- ILF engaged formal financial review for FY2016 by an external accounting firm. The review resulted in several changes for financial policies and procedures which were implemented for the current fiscal year and approved by the Board.
- If an association, committee, division or district has an idea that requires any resources, the unit may contact the ILF Office for possible consideration.
- Strategic Direction - ILF has embarked on a Strategic Visioning process, which envisions the future of libraries and the strategic areas of work for ILF to advance that vision. Kickoff is Feb. 3, and we aim to complete by fall.