How to Participate
Who May Participate?
Any school in Indiana serving students in grades K-8 may participate if it:
- Makes sure at least 12 of the 20 nominated titles in a category are available to students.
- Provides ballots for each student who has read or heard read at least 12 of the Primary Picture Book nominees or five of the nominated books in the Intermediate or Middle Grades categories.
- Tallies its students' voting forms and reports the results to the Indiana Library Federation office by May 1.
Who May Vote?
Voting forms (ballots) should be provided to any student in a participating school who has read or has heard read:
- 12 of the 20 books nominated in the Picture Book category
- 5 of the 20 books nominated in the Intermediate category
- 5 of the 20 books nominated in the Middle Grades category
The winning authors for the Intermediate and Middle Grades categories, as well as the author and illustrator for the Picture Book category, are presented with a commemorative symbol of the award at the annual fall conference of Association of Indiana School Library Educators (AISLE).
Schools and public libraries are encouraged to develop a YHBA partnership.
To help you plan for the school year, we have developed a sample timeline to help guide you!
Download the Timeline