The Young Hoosier Book Award Committee is composed of members of the Association of Indiana School Library Educators (AISLE), an association of the Indiana Library Federation. Each year, committee members select 20 nominees for each category (Picture Book, Intermediate, Middle Grades) from titles suggested by teachers, students, parents, public librarians, and media specialists. Books must meet the following guidelines to be eligible for consideration:
- The author or illustrator of a nominated book will be restricted to one work in any particular year.
- The author or illustrator of a nominated book must be living and currently residing in the United States.
- The book must have been published within the last five (5) years.
- The book must be in print at the time of selection.
- The book cannot be a previous nominee.
- The book cannot be a Caldecott or Newbery Medal winner. Honor books are acceptable.
To suggest a book for nomination for a YHBA Award, please e-mail the information on the Nomination Form to Donna Rummel, General Co-Chair or print out the Nomination Form below and send to the ILF Office, 941 E. 86th Street, Suite #260, Indianapolis, Indiana 46240. Please be sure to note for which list (Picture Book, Intermediate, or Middle Grades) you wish the book be considered.